Golden Keyes Parsons- Chess Pie

What in the World is Chess Pie?

One of the questions I have been asked the most concerning my latest release, His Steadfast Love, a Civil War novel set in Texas, is "What is chess pie?"

 

Interestingly enough in the opening scene Amanda Belle, the southern protagonist, is cutting pies at dinner-on-the-grounds and the hero, Captain Kent Littlefield, a Union officer stationed near their home before the war starts, wonders the same thing. She serves him some of her servant, Elsie's, famous chess pie -- and he's hooked.

I never dreamed that even southerners might not know what chess pie is. So I am providing a recipe for buttermilk chess pie for you. I think I initially got the recipe out of Southern Living magazine. It's a gooey, custardy, sweet, delectable standard dessert in many Southern homes. And it's easy to make. Here are the directions! This one recipe makes two pies. Try it -- I'll bet you'll be hooked just like Captain Kent Littlefield!

 

CHESS PIE

2 - 9 or 10 " pie crust, unbaked

Filling:
6 eggs
3 cups sugar (I usually don't use a full 3 cups - about 2 1/2)
2 sticks softened real butter
Mix above until light.
Add: 2 tsps vanilla & 1 cup buttermilk
Pour into pie shells. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 325 and bake for 30 minutes or until firm in middle.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love chess pie in all its forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Frances, I do too, and it is so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete