Lena Nelson Dooley's Chicken and Spanish Rice Casserole


Lena Nelson Dooley
http://www.lenanelsondooley.com/
Hi Rhonda, this is a recipe I came up with so I could cook it and it would last a few days. I use it when I’m on deadline, so I won’t have to spend much time cooking.


Lena's Chicken and Spanish Rice Casserole

(James and I have to watch sodium. This recipe is a good way to get a lot of flavor without much sodium.)

2 -Cups uncooked brown rice (not instant)
2 - jars Clint's Texas Salsa ( I use mild. You can use which you prefer.)
1/2 cooked chicken, chopped into medium sized pieces
1 can chopped green chili peppers
Grated Colby Jack cheese


I cook a whole chicken in the crock pot until tender, then remove the meat and save the broth for other dishes. I will use 1/2 the chicken at a time and freeze the other half for later.

Cook the rice according to the package directions. While this is cooking grease two casserole dishes. (I use cooking spray.)

When the rice is done, pour into large mixing bowl. Add chicken and green chilis. Then pour both bottles of salsa over all this. Stir well.

Transfer into casserole dishes and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

 Remove from oven and top with grated cheese. Return to oven for 10 minutes.

For James and me, I let one casserole cool and freeze it for later. It's also good when you have company, because it feeds a lot of people. Just add a good salad and dessert for a complete meal.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lena for sharing this recipe! I know I'm going to use it :) Also, I love your book cover! Can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete