Lena Nelson Dooley - Beef and Rice Casserole



I found this recipe on Lena Nelson Dooley's webpage and tried it. It was so easy and tasted wonderful! I changed it a little but for other great recipes, check out her pages. And look at her books, Lena is a very talented author and a wonderful friend.




Beef and Rice Casserole

8 cups cooked rice
1 pound ground beef
1 envelope taco seasoning
½ cup water
3 cups chunky salsa (I use medium. You can use whatever strength you like.)
Grated pepperjack cheese (you can use any type cheese you like best)

Brown ground beef. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Let simmer for 5 minutes.

In a large bowl combine rice, meat mixture, and salsa. Stir well.

Divide into two casserole dishes. Top with grated cheese. Microwave for ten minutes.

You can freeze one of these or share with a neighbor or shut in. You can also take one to a potluck and keep the second for dinner later in the week. With the one I plan to freeze, I leave the cheese off. After I thaw it to use it, I add the cheese and microwave.

2 comments:

  1. I loved using this easy recipe, but usually I saved the second dish and froze it so I could use it later when I was on a deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea Lena. Poor James has grown to enjoy sandwiches. But, I know he'd prefer a hot dish.

    ReplyDelete